[Gluster-users] does your samba work with 4.1.x (centos 7.5)

Anoop C S anoopcs at autistici.org
Tue Nov 13 08:02:44 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 20:04 -0500, Diego Remolina wrote:
> Hi Anoop,
>
> This is an overview of how to use Central files in Revit:
>
> https://revitpure.com/blog/how-to-use-central-and-local-files-in-revit
>
> Once a central file is created, other folders are also created in the location of the file, which
> contains many other files.
>
> [root at ysmha02 vfsgluster]# ls -la
> total 385588
> drwxrws---.  4 dijuremo Staff      4096 Nov 12 19:03 .
> drwxr-xr-x. 21 root     root       4096 Nov  7 19:51 ..
> drwxrws---.  2 dijuremo Staff      4096 Nov 12 19:05 2017-07-06 CAPE CORAL
> CJDR_CENTRAL_R2017_backup
> -rw-rw----.  1 dijuremo Staff 394825728 Jul 23  2017 2017-07-06 CAPE CORAL CJDR_CENTRAL_R2017.rvt
> drwxrws---.  2 dijuremo Staff      4096 Nov 12 19:03 Revit_temp
>
> So I copied the file 2017 2017-07-06 CAPE CORAL CJDR_CENTRAL_R2017.rvt to the network share:
> \\ysmserver\vfsgluster
>
> When I attempted to create a central file, it failed giving this error message:
>

> A simple ls -l of the _backup folder shows there is an existing file there called
> incrementtable.2108.dat:
>
> [root at ysmha02 vfsgluster]# ls -l 2017-07-06\ CAPE\ CORAL\
> CJDR_CENTRAL_R2017_backup/incrementtable.2108.dat
> -rw-rw----. 1 dijuremo Staff 2357 Nov 12 19:13 2017-07-06 CAPE CORAL
> CJDR_CENTRAL_R2017_backup/incrementtable.2108.dat
>
> However, at this point, things are not OK. The file is *not* a central file. If I hit close and
> open the file again, then Revit will hang, usually just go into the usual windows "Not Responding"
> state. This can last for several minutes. I just closed the application via End Task after 5
> minutes of waiting. Rather than double clicking on the file from the share, I also tried opening
> Revit first, then opening the file from Revit using the Open dialog. This also hangs the program.
>
> In one occasion, I tried to manually delete the folders (long_name_backup and Revit_temp) from
> windows using File Explorer to try and recreate the central again and then the delete process hung
> in one file, preview.1957.dat for almost a minute, but it finally succeeded. This is not normal
> behavior.
>
> On the server, I can see this is a rather small file:
>
> [root at ysmha02 2017-07-06 CAPE CORAL CJDR_CENTRAL_R2017_backup]# ls -la
> total 11
> drwxrws---. 2 dijuremo Staff 4096 Nov 12 19:39 .
> drwxrws---. 4 dijuremo Staff 4096 Nov 12 19:03 ..
> -rw-rw----. 1 dijuremo Staff 2753 Nov 12 19:36 preview.1957.dat

Thanks for explaining the issue.

I understand that you are experiencing hang while doing some operations on files/directories in a
GlusterFS volume share from a Windows client. For simplicity can you attach the output of following
command:

# gluster volume info <volume>
# testparm -s --section-name global

> This is the test samba share exported using vfs object = glusterfs:
>
> [vfsgluster]
>    path = /vfsgluster
>    browseable = yes
>    create mask = 660
>    directory mask = 770
>    write list = @Staff
>    kernel share modes = No
>    vfs objects = glusterfs
>    glusterfs:loglevel = 7
>    glusterfs:logfile = /var/log/samba/glusterfs-vfsgluster.log
>    glusterfs:volume = export

Since you have mentioned path as /vfsgluster I hope you are sharing a subdirectory under root of the
volume.

> Full smb.conf
> http://termbin.com/y4j0

I see the "clustering" parameter set to 'yes'. How many nodes are there in the cluster? Out of those
how many are running as samba and/or gluster nodes?

> /var/log/samba/glusterfs-vfsgluster.log
> http://termbin.com/5hdr
>
> Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

Are there any errors in /var/log/samba/log.<IP/hostname>? IP/hostname = Windows client machine