[Gluster-users] SQLite3 on 3 node cluster FS?

Paul Anderson pha at umich.edu
Tue Mar 6 16:52:46 UTC 2018

Raghavendra,

I've commited my tests case to https://github.com/powool/gluster.git -
it's grungy, and a work in progress, but I am happy to take change
suggestions, especially if it will save folks significant time.

For the rest, I'll reply inline below...

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:39 PM, Raghavendra Gowdappa
<rgowdapp at redhat.com> wrote:
> +Csaba.
>
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:52 AM, Paul Anderson <pha at umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Raghavendra,
>>
>> Thanks very much for your reply.
>>
>> I fixed our data corruption problem by disabling the volume
>> performance.write-behind flag as you suggested, and simultaneously
>> disabling caching in my client side mount command.
>

> Good to know it worked. Can you give us the output of
> # gluster volume info

[root at node-1 /]# gluster volume info

Volume Name: dockerstore
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: fb08b9f4-0784-4534-9ed3-e01ff71a0144
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 172.18.0.4:/data/glusterfs/store/dockerstore
Brick2: 172.18.0.3:/data/glusterfs/store/dockerstore
Brick3: 172.18.0.2:/data/glusterfs/store/dockerstore
Options Reconfigured:
performance.client-io-threads: off
nfs.disable: on
transport.address-family: inet
locks.mandatory-locking: optimal
performance.flush-behind: off
performance.write-behind: off

> We would like to debug the problem in write-behind. Some questions:
>
> 1. What version of Glusterfs are you using?

On the server nodes:

[root at node-1 /]# gluster --version
glusterfs 3.13.2
Repository revision: git://git.gluster.org/glusterfs.git

On the docker container sqlite test node:

root at b4055d8547d2:/# glusterfs --version
glusterfs 3.8.8 built on Jan 11 2017 14:07:11

I recognize that version skew could be an issue.

> 2. Were you able to figure out whether its stale data or metadata that is
> causing the issue?

I lean towards stale data based on the only real observation I have:

While debugging, I put log messages in as to when the flock() is
acquired, and when it is released. There is no instance where two
different processes ever hold the same flock()'d file. From what I
have read, the locks are considered metadata, and they appear to me to
be working, so that's why I'm inclined to think stale data is the
issue.

> There have been patches merged in write-behind in recent past and one in the
> works which address metadata consistency. Would like to understand whether
> you've run into any of the already identified issues.

Agreed!

Thanks,

Paul