[Gluster-users] geo-replication

Marcus Pedersén marcus.pedersen at slu.se
Fri Mar 2 09:35:47 UTC 2018

Hi again,
I have been testing and reading up on other solutions
and just wanted to check if my ideas are ok.
I have been looking at dispersed volumes and wonder if there are any
problems running replicated-distributed cluster on the master node and
a dispersed-distributed cluster on the slave side of a geo-replication.
Second thought, running disperesed on both sides, is that a problem
(Master: dispersed-distributed, slave: dispersed-distributed)?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards
Marcus

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 02:57:48PM +0530, Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar wrote:
> [...]
> > better how the system works!
> >

> Thank you very much for all your help!
> >

>  No problem. We are happy to help you.
>

> > Best regards
> > Marcus
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:40:32PM +0530, Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar
> > wrote:
> > > Answers inline

> > has not
> > node
> > > >

> > > Geo-replication syncs changes based on changelog journal which records
> > all
> > > the file operations.
> > > It syncs every file in two steps
> > > 1. File creation with same attributes as on master via rpc (CREATE is
> > > recorded in changelog)
> > > 2. Data sync via rsync (DATA is recorded in changelog. Any further
> > appends
> > > will only record DATA)
> > >
> > > The changelog processing will not halt on encountering ENOENT(It thinks
> > > it's a safe error). It's not
> > > straight forward. When I said, file won't be synced, it means the file is
> > > created on node1 and when
> > > you append the data, the data would not sync as it gets ENOENT since the
> > > node1 is down. But if the
> > > 'CREATE' of file is not synced to node1, then it is persistent failure
> > > (ENOTCON) and waits till node1 comes back.

> > one
> > the
> > distributed
> > > >

> > > Yes, it's correct. As I said earlier, CREATE itself would have failed
> > with
> > > ENOTCON. geo-rep waited till slave comes back.
> > > Bring slave node down, and now append data to files which falls under
> > node
> > > which is down, you won't see appended data.
> > > So it's always recommended to use replica/ec/arbiter

> > marcus.pedersen at slu.se>

> > belongs

> > STATUS
> > Active

> > STATUS
> >  Faulty

> > node is

> > > --
> > > Thanks and Regards,
> > > Kotresh H R
> >
> > --
> > * Marcus Pedersén                                *
> > * System administrator                           *
> > * Interbull Centre                               *
> > * ================                               *
> > * Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics — SLU *
> > * Box 7023, SE-750 07                            *
> > * Uppsala, Sweden                                *
> > * Visiting address:                              *
> > * Room 55614, Ulls väg 26, Ultuna                *
> > * Uppsala                                        *
> > * Sweden                                         *
> > * Tel: +46-(0)18-67 1962                         *
> > *     ISO 9001 Bureau Veritas No SE004561-1      *

* Marcus Pedersén                                *
* System administrator                           *
* Interbull Centre                               *