[Gluster-users] Failover problems with gluster 3.8.8-1 (latest Debian stable)

Dave Sherohman dave at sherohman.org
Thu Feb 15 12:20:27 UTC 2018

Well, it looks like I've stumped the list, so I did a bit of additional
digging myself:

azathoth replicates with yog-sothoth, so I compared their brick
directories.  `ls -R /var/local/brick0/data | md5sum` gives the same
result on both servers, so the filenames are identical in both bricks.
However, `du -s /var/local/brick0/data` shows that azathoth has about 3G
more data (445G vs 442G) than yog.

This seems consistent with my assumption that the problem is on
yog-sothoth (everything is fine with only azathoth; there are problems
with only yog-sothoth) and I am reminded that a few weeks ago,
yog-sothoth was offline for 4-5 days, although it should have been
brought back up-to-date once it came back online.

So, assuming that the issue is stale/missing data on yog-sothoth, is
there a way to force gluster to do a full refresh of the data from
azathoth's brick to yog-sothoth's brick?  I would have expected running
heal and/or rebalance to do that sort of thing, but I've run them both
(with and without fix-layout on the rebalance) and the problem persists.

If there isn't a way to force a refresh, how risky would it be to kill
gluster on yog-sothoth, wipe everything from /var/local/brick0, and then
re-add it to the cluster as if I were replacing a physically failed
disk?  Seems like that should work in principle, but it feels dangerous
to wipe the partition and rebuild, regardless.

Dave Sherohman