[Gluster-users] geo-replication

Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar khiremat at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 13:09:20 UTC 2018

We are happy to help you out. Please find the answers inline.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Marcus Pedersén <marcus.pedersen at slu.se>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am planning my new gluster system and tested things out in
> a bunch of virtual machines.
> I need a bit of help to understand how geo-replication behaves.
>
> I have a master gluster cluster replica 2
> (in production I will use an arbiter and replicatied/distributed)
> and the geo cluster is distributed with 2 machines.
> (in production I will have the geo cluster distributed)

It's recommended to use slave also to be distribute replicate/aribiter/ec.
Choosing only distribute will cause issues
when of the slave node is down and a file is being synced which belongs to
that node. It would not sync
later.

> Everything is up and running and creating files from client both
> replicates and is distributed in the geo cluster.
>
> The thing I am wondering about is:
> When I run: gluster volume geo-replication status
> I see both slave nodes one is active and the other is passive.
>
> MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL     MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE
>                                 SLAVE NODE      STATUS     CRAWL STATUS
>    LAST_SYNCED
> gluster1       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser
>  ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    gluster-geo2    Active
>  Changelog Crawl    2018-02-06 11:46:08
> gluster2       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser
>  ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    gluster-geo1    Passive
>   N/A                N/A
>

> If I shutdown the active slave the status changes to faulty
> and the other one continues to be passive.
>

> MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL     MASTER BRICK    SLAVE USER    SLAVE
>                                 SLAVE NODE      STATUS     CRAWL STATUS
> LAST_SYNCED
> gluster1       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser
>  ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    N/A             Faulty
>  N/A             N/A
> gluster2       interbullfs    /interbullfs    geouser
>  ssh://geouser@gluster-geo1::interbullfs-geo    gluster-geo1    Passive
>   N/A             N/A
>

> In my understanding I thought that if the active slave stopped
> working the passive slave should become active and should
> continue to replicate from master.
>
> Am I wrong? Is there just one active slave if it is setup as
> a distributed system?

The Active/Passive notion is for master node. If gluster1 master node is
down  glusterd2 master node will become Active.
It's not for slave node.

> What I use:
> Centos 7, gluster 3.12
> I have followed the geo instructions:
> http://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Geo%20Replication/
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Bets regards
> Marcus
>
> --
> * Marcus Pedersén                                *
> * System administrator                           *
> * Interbull Centre                               *
> * ================                               *
> * Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics — SLU *
> * Box 7023, SE-750 07                            *
> * Uppsala, Sweden                                *
> * Visiting address:                              *
> * Room 55614, Ulls väg 26, Ultuna                *
> * Uppsala                                        *
> * Sweden                                         *
> * Tel: +46-(0)18-67 1962                         *

Thanks and Regards,
Kotresh H R