[Gluster-users] Community Meeting, Tomorrow - Dec 5 at 15:00 UTC

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 15:38:56 UTC 2018

Thanks for posting here Amye! Will try to answer these questions inline,
and for missing ones, will get back soon.

Sorry about missing this meeting, the evenings in these months are bit
blocked :-/

-

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:51 PM Amye Scavarda <amye at redhat.com> wrote:

> So the agenda for today's meeting has some questions, but unfortunately,
> we don't have the maintainers group online to be able to assist.
> Here's what's come up:
>
> - gluster-prometheus-exporter: the git tag still refer to 0.3dev, when a
> final first release would be available? what are the targeted components
> metrics of such release and next?
> - gluster-block: benchmark reporting: couldn't find anything online, what
> expectations should we have?

Depends on work-load. We recommend it for more of transaction workload,
like DB, or jenkins etc.

> - glusterd2: any timeline of when would be production ready?

We are focusing on getting it used as a default project in container
workload. So, it wouldn't be a replacement for GD1 yet. Once it works
smoothly in that work load, we will get it into default gluster stack.
Please refer to https://github.com/gluster/gcs for the progress on this
effort.

We are seeing how to provide 'thin-arbiter' feature we got into filesystem
side in the releases. Will keep the users list informed about it. We should
have something for users by glusterfs-6.0 timeframe (which is next release).

> - glusterfs: running glusterfs on high spec HW is it a waste of resources
> or there are plans for optimizations? NVDIM support? NVME drives etc

Currently, we are trying to stabilize the current codebase. The
optimizations would follow later. We are happy to get help here. Both in
terms of code, and guidance (through github issues).

> - georeplication: implementation and monitoring seems to be challenging
> what is the vision?

gluster-ansible project already has supports for automated geo-replication
management. Can that be tried? We are planning to integrate more of
monitoring with gluster-prometheus later.

- heketi coming up features?

> Putting this on the mailing list for larger visibility.
> - amye
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM Amye Scavarda <amye at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> https://bit.ly/gluster-community-meetings has an agenda, but should we
>> postpone these to January?
>>
>> If we were to replace the Community Meetings with a video call to present
>> current work, would that be more effective? Would you rather just do office
>> hours for a particular feature?
>>
>> Drop a note on list for what you'd like to see happen with the community
>> meetings, overall Gluster community. :D
>>
>> - amye
>>

>> --
>> Amye Scavarda | amye at redhat.com | Gluster Community Lead