[Gluster-users] file metadata operations performance - gluster 4.1

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Tue Aug 28 06:40:33 UTC 2018

One of the observation we had with git clone like work load was, nl-cache
(negative-lookup cache), helps here.

Try 'gluster volume set $volume-name nl-cache enable'.

Also sharing the 'profile info' during this performance observations also
helps us to narrow down the situation.

More on how to capture profile info @
https://hackmd.io/PhhT5jPdQIKxzfeLQmnjJQ?view

-Amar

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Davide Obbi <davide.obbi at booking.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> did anyone ever managed to achieve reasonable waiting time while
> performing metadata intensive operations such as git clone, untar etc...?
> Is this possible workload or will never be in scope for glusterfs?
>
> I'd like to know, if possible, what would be the options that affect such
> volume performances.
> Albeit i managed to achieve decent git status/git grep operations, 3 and
> 30 secs, the git clone and untarring a file from/to the same share take
> ages. for a git repo of aprox 6GB.
>
> I'm running a test environment with 3 way replica 128GB RAM and 24 cores
> are  2.40GHz, one internal SSD dedicated to the volume brick and 10Gb
> network
>
> The options set so far that affects volume performances are:
>  48 performance.readdir-ahead: on
>  50 features.cache-invalidation: on
>  52 performance.stat-prefetch: on
>  53 performance.cache-invalidation: on