[Gluster-users] New Style Replication in Version 4

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:26:14 UTC 2018

I am landing here again following a spell on the list when I worked at XMA
in the UK. Hello again.

I have a use case of having a remote office, which should be able to have a
common storage area with a main office.

At the last company I worked with, we used GPFS with AFM to achieve this
(not really relevant to this list).

I at first though Geo Replication would be ideal for this use case, however
further reading says that it is suitable for making a slave only copy for
disaster recovery. Ie. there is no 'two way' syncing of files.

To make it a bit clearer, the concept is that the remote site might be in
the USA, and the home site in Europe.

Scientists at the remote site copy files for analysis to a local storage
server.

At the home site there should be a replica of the analysis files. At the
home site there are HPC resources to run simulations or process the data
somehow. Results files are written to a storage server and then should be
replicated back to the remote site.

Would anyone be able to comment on the New Style Geo Replication which has
come along in Gluster version 4?

What is the status please, and is it a suitable method for enabling a share
at a remote office which syncs either way?

thankyou

John Hearns