[Gluster-users] Replicated volume read request are served by remote brick

Frederik Banke info at patch.dk
Wed Apr 18 20:32:06 UTC 2018

I have created a 2 brick replicated volume.

gluster> volume status
Status of volume: storage
Gluster process                             TCP Port  RDMA Port  Online  Pid
Brick master:/glusterfs/bricks/storage/mountpoint
            49153     0          Y       5301
Brick worker1:/glusterfs/bricks/storage/mountpoint
           49153     0          Y       3002

The volume is mounted like this:
On worker1 node /etc/fstab
worker1:/storage      /data/storage/       glusterfs     defaults,_netdev
0  0

On master node /etc/fstab
master:/storage      /data/storage/       glusterfs     defaults,_netdev
0  0

When I add read load(many small files) on the volume mounted on the master
node CPU usage looks like this:
On master node: glusterfs ~ 50%
On master node: glusterfsd ~ 25%

On worker1 node: glusterfsd ~ 50%

There is no other load on the servers than the read load I start.
When I inspect the glusterfsd process on worker1 using strace, it seems
like it does at least some of the file reading from this node.

Is this expected behavior? I would think that since it is a replicated
volume and read load, it would serve all the requests from the brick on the
localhost and not use the network to serve the requests.

Can anyone help to clarify my understanding of the architecture?