[Gluster-users] Bitrot strange behavior

Cedric Lemarchand yipikai7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:12:34 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am playing around with the bitrot feature and have some questions:

1. when a file is created, the "trusted.bit-rot.signature” attribute
seems only created approximatively 120 seconds after its creations
(the cluster is idle and there is only one file living on it). Why ?
Is there a way to make this attribute generated at the same time of
the file creation ?

2. corrupting a file (adding a 0 locally on a brick) before the
creation of the "trusted.bit-rot.signature” do not provide any
warning: its signature is different than the 2 others copies on other
bricks. Starting a scrub did not show up anything. I would think that
Gluster compares signature between bricks for this particular use
cases, but it seems the check is only local, so a file corrupted
before it’s bitrot signature creation stay corrupted, and thus could
be served to clients whith bad data ?

Gluster 3.12.8 on Debian Stretch, bricks on ext4.

Volume Name: vol1
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 85ccfaf2-5793-46f2-bd20-3f823b0a2232
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks: