[Gluster-users] Is the size of bricks limiting the size of files I can store?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:02:16 UTC 2018

On April 12, 2018 3:48:32 PM EDT, Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Apr 2018, Jim Kinney wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot for that definitive answer. Is there a way to manage
>>> this?
>>> Can you shard just those files, making them replicated in the
>>> process?
>>
>> I manage this by using thin pool, thin lvm and add new drives to the
>> lvm across all gluster nodes and expand the user space. My thinking
>on
>> this is a RAID 10 with the RAID 0 in the lvm and the RAID1 handled by
>> gluster replica 2+   :-)
>
>I'm not sure I see how that solved the problem, but as you have though
>it through I think you are trying to say something I should understand.
>
>/andreas

By adding space to a logical volume, effectively below the control of gluster, the entire space is available for users. Gluster manages replication across hosts and lvm provides absolute space allocation on each host.

So I have 3 hosts, replica 3, and 12 bricks on each host, 1 brick for each mount point the clients see. Some bricks are a single drive while others are 2 and 1 is 5 drives. That same lvm setup is replicated on all 3 hosts. Now a client wants more storage. They buy 3 new drives, 1 for each host. Each host gets the lvm command queued up to add the new drive to the volume for that client. Then in parallel, all 3 hosts expand the volume along with a filesystem resize. In about 2 seconds gluster picks up the change in size. Since this size change is at the host filesystem level, a file larger than the remaining space on the original drive can be written as lvm will simply span the physical volumes. Gluster would choke and not span bricks.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.