[Gluster-users] Is the size of bricks limiting the size of files I can store?

Krutika Dhananjay kdhananj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 09:51:26 UTC 2018

Sorry about the late reply, I missed seeing your mail.

To begin with, what is your use-case? Sharding is currently supported only
for virtual machine image storage use-case.
It *could* work in other single-writer use-cases but it's only tested
thoroughly for the vm use-case.
If yours is not a vm store use-case, you might want to do some tests first
to see if it works fine.
If you find any issues, you can raise a bug. I'll be more than happy to fix
them.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 1:19 AM, Andreas Davour <ante at update.uu.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Raghavendra Gowdappa wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 11:37 PM, Andreas Davour <ante at update.uu.se> wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot for that definitive answer. Is there a way to manage this?
>>> Can you shard just those files, making them replicated in the process?

Is your question about whether you can shard just that big file that caused
space to run out and keep the rest of the files unsharded?
This is a bit tricky. From the time you enable sharding on your volume, all
newly created shards  will get sharded once their size
exceeds features.shard-block-size value (which is configurable) because
it's a volume-wide option.

As for volumes which have pre-existing data even before shard is enabled,
for you to shard them, you'll need to perform either of the two steps below:

1. move the existing file to a local fs from your glusterfs volume and then
move it back into the volume.
2. copy the existing file into a temporary file on the same volume and
rename the file back to its original name.

-Krutika