[Gluster-users] Turn off replication

Karthik Subrahmanya ksubrahm at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 06:11:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 7:38 PM, Jose Sanchez <josesanc at carc.unm.edu> wrote:

> Hi Karthik
>
> Looking at the information you have provided me, I would like to make sure
> that I’m running the right commands.
>
> 1.   gluster volume heal scratch info

If the count is non zero, trigger the heal and wait for heal info count to
become zero.

> 2. gluster volume remove-brick scratch *replica 1 *
> gluster02ib:/gdata/brick1/scratch gluster02ib:/gdata/brick2/scratch force

3.  gluster volume add-brick* “#"* scratch gluster02ib:/gdata/brick1/
> scratch gluster02ib:/gdata/brick2/scratch
>

> Based on the configuration I have, Brick 1 from Node A and B are tide
> together and Brick 2 from Node A and B are also tide together. Looking at
> your remove command (step #2), it seems that you want me to remove Brick 1
> and 2 from Node B (gluster02ib). is that correct? I thought the data was
> distributed in bricks 1 between nodes A and B) and duplicated on Bricks 2
> (node A and B).

Data is duplicated between bricks 1 of nodes A & B and bricks 2 of nodes A
& B and data is distributed between these two pairs.
You need not always remove the bricks 1 & 2 from node B itself. The idea
here is to keep one copy from both the replica pairs.

> Also when I add the bricks back to gluster, do I need to specify if it is
> distributed or replicated?? and Do i need a configuration #?? for example
> on your command (Step #2) you have “replica 1” when remove bricks, do I
> need to do the same when adding the nodes back ?

No. You just need to erase the data on those bricks and add those bricks
back to the volume. The previous remove-brick command will make the volume
plain distribute. Then simply adding the bricks without specifying any "#"
will expand the volume as a plain distribute volue.

> Im planning on moving with this changes in few days. At this point each
> brick has 14tb and adding bricks 1 from node A and B, i have a total of
> 28tb, After doing all the process, (removing and adding bricks) I should be
> able to see a total of 56Tb right ?

Yes after all these you will have 56TB in total.
After adding the bricks, do volume rebalance, so that the data which were
present previously, will be moved to the correct bricks.

HTH,
Karthik