[Gluster-users] how many hosts could be down in a 12x(4+2) distributed dispersed volume?

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 07:33:50 UTC 2017

After adding 3 more nodes you will have 6 nodes and 2 HD on each nodes.
It depends on the way you are going to add new bricks on the existing volume 'vol"
I think you should remember that in a given EC sub volume of 4+2, at any point of time 2 bricks could be down.
When you make 6 * (4+2) to 12 * (4+2) you have to provide path of the bricks you want to add.

Suppose you want to add 6 bricks and all the 6 bricks are on 3 new nodes (2 each) then with respect to that sub volume you can tolerate 1 node going down.
If you are creating a 12 * (4+2) volume from the scratch and providing 12 bricks from each server then in that case even 2 nodes can go down without any issue.

I think You should focus more on the number of Hard Drive in a sub volume. You should ask yourself "How many bricks (HD) with in a sub volume will be unavailable if 1 or 2 nodes are going down?"

Ashish