[Gluster-users] Is there any performance impact in setting up every gluster client as a NFS server?

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 04:37:15 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 11/14/2017 11:45 PM, Jeevan Patnaik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have around 60 hosts and each of them acts as glusterFs clients as
> well as server.
>
> To achieve HA, my underatanding is that we can use Ganesha NFS alone
> (and not Kernel NFS) and for above 3.10 versions, the HA packages are
> not ready yet.
>
> So, I'm thinking if I can avoid HA by making each client acts as server
> for itself.
>
> i.e.,the server name specified while mounting is localhost.

IIUC, you are planning to use gluster native client (via FUSE) mounts
act as NFS server by exporting those mount paths via
Kernel-NFS/NFS-Ganesha. If thats the case, yes it shall add a bit of
overhead to the performance.

Also without HA packages, wouldn't that NFS server become single point
of failure to its NFS clients. How will you ensure the IPs used by that
particular host migrates to another one.

Thanks,
Soumya