[Gluster-users] "Another Transaction is in progres..."

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed May 31 13:56:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Krist van Besien <krist at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to do trivial things, like setting quota, or just querying the
> status and keep getting
>
> "Another transaction is in progres for <some volume>"
>
> These messages pop up, then disappear for a while, then pop up again...
>
> What do these messages mean? How do I figure out which "transaction" is
> meant here, and what do I do about it?

This message usually means that a different gluster command is being
executed in the cluster. Most gluster commands are serialized by a cluster
wide lock. Upon not being able to acquire the cluster lock, this message is
displayed.

You can check /var/log/glusterfs/cmd_history.log on all storage nodes to
observe what other commands are in progress at the time of getting this
error message. Are you per chance using oVirt to manage Gluster? oVirt
periodically does a "gluster volume status" to determine the volume health
and that can conflict with other commands being executed.

Regards,
Vijay