[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Fwd: Re: GlusterFS removal from Openstack Cinder

WK wkmail at bneit.com
Wed May 31 00:24:01 UTC 2017

On 5/30/2017 4:19 PM, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 05/30/2017 06:54 PM, WK wrote:
>>

>> Why is RedHat not interested in Gluster in OpenStack?
>>
>> Its obvious from my years lurking on the Openstack Mailing lists that
>> the OpenStack community is most comfortable with Ceph. When asked
>> about Gluster, I've seen vague 'complaints' which are mostly no
>> longer relevant and more likely arise from a lack of familiarity with
>> modern Gluster.
>>
>> I've always been a little surprised the RH people didn't correct
>> that. Instead the OpenStack=Ceph and RHEV=Gluster mindsets seems to
>> have been ingrained.
>>
>> -bill
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Red Hat has both ceph and gluster based products.  We know both
> technologies really well, not surprising since we employ most of the
> developers of both.
>
> Gluster is very relevant and growing, but we definitely see a strong
> affinity for ceph in the openstack community. We have invested heavily
> in gluster in other areas.

Well, that is what I alluded to in my commentary.

What I was trying to find out was if the decision was based on a
technical aspect in the technologies involved (such as Gluster scaling)
or simply the reality of open source project politics (i.e. cat
herding/familiarity).

It appears to be the latter.

That is fine. The OpenStack project/community is already somewhat <ahem>
"unusual" enough without having to swim upstream against an incumbent
technology.

We ($dayjob) have played with most of the distributed FS/Disk systems
and use at least 3 different ones at the present. Gluster has it role in
our system (mostly VMs in host clusters).

I've always been curious as to what the RedHat position on the Gluster
use case vs Ceph use case was in case we were missing an opportunity.

-bill