[Gluster-users] Heal operation detail of EC volumes

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Tue May 30 07:25:46 UTC 2017

When we say client side heal or server side heal, we basically talking about the side which "triggers" heal of a file.

1 - server side heal - shd scans indices and triggers heal

2 - client side heal - a fop finds that file needs heal and it triggers heal for that file.

Now, what happens when heal gets triggered.
In both the cases following functions takes part -

ec_heal => ec_heal_throttle=>ec_launch_heal

Now ec_launch_heal just creates heal tasks (with ec_synctask_heal_wrap which calls ec_heal_do ) and put it into a queue.
This happens on server and "syncenv" infrastructure which is nothing but a set of workers pick these tasks and execute it. That is when actual read/write for
heal happens.