[Gluster-users] URGENT - Cheat on quorum

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Mon May 22 02:00:07 UTC 2017

On 05/22/2017 03:11 AM, W Kern wrote:

> So I am experimenting with shards using a couple VMs and decided to
> test his scenario (i.e. only one node available on a simple 2 node + 1
> arbiter replicated/sharded volume use 3.10.1 on Cent7.3)
>
> I setup a VM testbed. Then verified everything including the sharding
> works and then shutdown nodes 2 and 3 (the arbiter).
>
> As expected I got a quorum error on the mount.
>
> So I tried
>
> gluster volume set VOL cluster.quorum-type none
>
> from the remaining 'working' node1 and it simply responds with
>
> "volume set: failed: Quorum not met. Volume operation not allowed"
>
> how do you FORCE gluster to ignore the quorum in such a situation?

You probably also have server quorum enabled (cluster.server-quorum-type
= server). Server quorum enforcement does not allow modifying volume
options or other actions like peer probing/detaching if server quorum is
not met.

Also, don't disable client quorum for arbiter volumes or you will end up
corrupting the files. For instance, if the arbiter brick was the only
one that is up, and you disabled client quorum, then a writev from the
application will get a success but nothing will ever get written on-disk
on the arbiter brick.

-Ravi