[Gluster-users] Gluster and NFS-Ganesha - cluster is down after reboot

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Tue May 2 07:49:15 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 05/02/2017 01:34 AM, Rudolf wrote:
> Hi Gluster users,
>
> First, I'd like to thank you all for this amazing open-source! Thank you!
>
> I'm working on home project – three servers with Gluster and
> NFS-Ganesha. My goal is to create HA NFS share with three copies of each
> file on each server.
>
> My systems are CentOS 7.3 Minimal install with the latest updates and
> the most current RPMs from "centos-gluster310" repository.
>
> I followed this tutorial:
> http://blog.gluster.org/2015/10/linux-scale-out-nfsv4-using-nfs-ganesha-and-glusterfs-one-step-at-a-time/
> (second half that describes multi-node HA setup)
>
> with a few exceptions:
>
> 1. All RPMs are from "centos-gluster310" repo that is installed by "yum
> -y install centos-release-gluster"
> 2. I have three nodes (not four) with "replica 3" volume.
> 3. I created empty ganesha.conf and not empty ganesha-ha.conf in
> "/var/run/gluster/shared_storage/nfs-ganesha/" (referenced blog post is
> outdated, this is now requirement)
> 4. ganesha-ha.conf doesn't have "HA_VOL_SERVER" since this isn't needed
> anymore.

Please refer to
http://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/NFS-Ganesha%20GlusterFS%20Integration/

It is being updated with latest changes happened wrt setup.

> When I finish configuration, all is good. nfs-ganesha.service is active
> and running and from client I can ping all three VIPs and I can mount
> NFS. Copied files are replicated to all nodes.
>
> But when I restart nodes (one by one, with 5 min. delay between) then I
> cannot ping or mount (I assume that all VIPs are down). So my setup
> definitely isn't HA.
>
> I found that:
> # pcs status
> Error: cluster is not currently running on this node

This means pcsd service is not up. Did you enable (systemctl enable
pcsd) pcsd service so that is comes up post reboot automatically. If not
please start it manually.

> and nfs-ganesha.service is in inactive state. Btw. I didn't enable
> "systemctl enable nfs-ganesha" since I assume that this is something
> that Gluster does.

Please check /var/log/ganesha.log for any errors/warnings.

We recommend not to enable nfs-ganesha.service (by default), as the
shared storage (where the ganesha.conf file resides now) should be up
and running before nfs-ganesha gets started.
So if enabled by default it could happen that shared_storage mount point
is not yet up and it resulted in nfs-ganesha service failure. If you
would like to address this, you could have a cron job which keeps
checking the mount point health and then start nfs-ganesha service.

Thanks,
Soumya