[Gluster-users] Add single server

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon May 1 19:08:54 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:20 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
> gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I do agree that for the duration a brick is replaced its replication
>> count
>> > is down by 1, is that your concern? In which case I do note that
>> without (a)
>> > above, availability is at risk during the operation. Which needs other
>> > strategies/changes to ensure tolerance to errors/faults.
>>
>> Oh, yes, i've forgot this too.
>>
>> I don't know Ceph, but Lizard, when moving chunks across the cluster,
>> does a copy, not a movement
>> During the whole operation you'll end with some files/chunks
>> replicated more than the requirement.
>>

> Replace-brick as a command is implemented with the goal of replacing a
> disk that went bad. So the availability was already less. In 2013-2014 I
> proposed that we do it by adding brick to just the replica set and increase
> its replica-count just for that set once heal is complete we could remove
> this brick. But at the point I didn't see any benefit to that approach,
> because availability was already down by 1. But with all of this discussion
> it seems like a good time to revive this idea. I saw that Shyam suggested
> the same in the PR he mentioned before.

The ability to increase and decrease the replication count within a replica
set would be pretty cool. In addition to replace-brick,  workloads that
need elasticity to serve reads can benefit from more replicas to provide
load balancing. Once the load is back to normal, we can cull the temporary
brick.

We might also want to start thinking about spare bricks that can be brought
 into a volume based on some policy.  For example, if the posix health
checker determines that underlying storage stack has problems, we can bring
a spare brick into the volume to replace the failing brick. More policies
can be evolved for triggering the action of bringing in a spare brick to a
volume.

-Vijay

-Vijay