[Gluster-users] Add single server

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon May 1 18:08:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > To know GFID of file1 you must know where the file resides so that you
> can
> > do getxattr trusted.gfid on the file. So storing server/brick location on
> > gfid is not getting us much more information that what we already have.
>
> It was an example. You can use the same xattr solution based on a hash.
> A full-path for each volume is unique (obviously, you can't have two
> "/tmp/my/file" on the same volume), thus
> hashing that to something like SHA1("/tmp/my/file") will give you a
> unique name (50b73d9c5dfda264d3878860ed7b1295e104e8ae)
> You can use that unique file-name (stored somewhere like
> ".metedata/50b73d9c5dfda264d3878860ed7b1295e104e8ae" to store the
> xattr with proper file locations across the cluster.

Filename can be renamed and then we lost the link because hash will be
different. Anyways all these kinds of problems are already solved in
distribute layer.

> As long as you sync the ".metadata" directory across the trusted pool
> (or across all member regarding the affected volume),
> you should be able to get proper file location by looking for the xattr.
>
> This is just a very basic and stupid POC, i'm just trying to explain
> my reasoning.

I am sorry at the moment with the given information I am not able to wrap
my head around the solution you are trying to suggest :-(.

At the moment, brick-splitting, inversion of afr/dht has some merit in my
mind, with tilt towards any solution that avoids this inversion and still
get the desired benefits.

--
Pranith