[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Gluster Limitation with ACL on Kernel NFS

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sat Mar 25 12:32:32 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 07:40:14PM +0530, ABHISHEK PALIWAL wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am using gluster with kernel nfs and  found one limitation with Gluster
> volume don't know whether it is Bug or expected.

There are some known issues with exporting FUSE mounted filesystems over
NFS with kernel nfsd. This is not something we recommend or test. I
suggest you look into using NFS-Ganesha for your needs, or maybe
Gluster/NFS (but that is being deprecated).

> Below is the scenario:
>
> I am mounting gluster volume as well as NFS volume with '-o acl' options
>
> I have tested gluster volume with ACLs and found that if we set the ACLs
> either before or after export on gluster mount point it will get reflect on
> exported NFS volume only if we mount it after ACL are applied on gluster
> volume.
>
> Also, if NFS volume is already mounted  then only first rule will get
> reflect on NFS exported volume.

I am not sure if this is one of the issues that can occur with FUSE
exported filesystems, it is not listed on
  https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/blob/master/doc/README.NFS

> Could anyone tell me the possibility what is the problem here.

It sounds like the ACL is not passed over FUSE to the gluster backend,
but only read. In order to check, the easiest is probably to capture a
tcpdump between the NFS-client and NFS-server, and compare that with the
GlusterFS traffic between the NFS-server and Gluster storage servers.

Of course we'll welcome improvements in the kernel nfsd exported FUSE
filesystem area, but it definitely is not something anyone working on
Gluster is looking at. NFS-Ganesha and Gluster/NFS are the tested
solutions to export GlusterFS over NFS, and we're actively fixing
problems that get reported with that approach. Could you explain your
need to use kernel nfsd to export GlusterFS? We'd be interested to know
what features NFS-Ganesha is lacking for you.

Thanks,
Niels