[Gluster-users] Secured mount in GlusterFS using keys

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:46:48 UTC 2017

Hi Deepak,

I am little confused about what you are trying to accomplish here. If I am
understanding your use case properly, you want to ensure that a client may
only mount a gluster volume if and only if it presents a key or secret that
attests to the client's identity, which the gluster server can use to
verify that client's identity. That's exactly what gluster MTLS is doing
since the gluster server performs chain-of-trust validation on the client's
leaf certificate.

Of course this will necessarily force encryption of the I/O path since its
TLS. I don't understand why I/O path encryption is something you want to
avoid -- seems like an essential part of basic network security that you
get for "free" with the authentication. It is true that if you want the
key-based authentication of a gluster client, you will need gluster MTLS.
You could treat encryption as the "cost" of getting authentication if you
will.

Now I am personally pretty negative on X.509 and chain-of-trust in general,
since the trust model has been proven to not scale and is frequently broken
by malicious and incompetent CAs. I also think its a completely
inappropriate security model for something like gluster where all endpoints
are known and controlled by a single entity, forcing a massive amount of
unnecessary complexity with certificate management with no real added
security. I have thought about making a feature request that gluster
support a simple public-key encryption that's implemented like SSH. But all
that said, MTLS is a well-tested, well known security protocol and the
gluster team built it on top of openssl so it does get the security job
done in an acceptable way. The fact that the I/O path is encrypted is not
the thing that bothers me about the implementation though.

Joe