[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Proposal to deprecate replace-brick for "distribute only" volumes

Ashish Pandey aspandey at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 11:17:04 UTC 2017

----- Original Message -----

From: "Atin Mukherjee" <atin.mukherjee83 at gmail.com>
To: "Raghavendra Talur" <rtalur at redhat.com>, gluster-devel at gluster.org, gluster-users at gluster.org
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:22:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Proposal to deprecate replace-brick for "distribute only" volumes

Makes sense.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 at 06:51, Raghavendra Talur < rtalur at redhat.com > wrote:

Hi,

In the last few releases, we have changed replace-brick command such
that it can be called only with "commit force" option. When invoked,
this is what happens to the volume:

a. distribute only volume: the given brick is replaced with a empty
brick with 100% probability of data loss.
b. distribute-replicate: the given brick is replaced with a empty
brick and self heal is triggered. If admin is wise enough to monitor
self heal status before another replace-brick command, data is safe.
c. distribute-disperse: same as above in distribute-replicate

My proposal is to fully deprecate replace-brick command for
"distribute only" volumes. It should print out a error "The right way
to replace brick for distribute only volume is to add brick, wait for
rebalance to complete and remove brick" and return a "-1".

It makes sense.
I just don't see any use of add-brick before remove-brick except the fact that it will
help to keep the overall storage capacity of volume intact .
What is the guarantee that the files on the brick which we want to replace
would migrate to added brick?

If a brick, which we want to replace, is healthy and we just want to replace it then perhaps we should provide
a command to copy those files to new brick and then remove the old brick.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Raghavendra Talur

--