[Gluster-users] NFS-Ganesha HA reboot

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 05:38:32 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

On 03/13/2017 09:15 PM, Paul Cammarata wrote:
> We have gluster 3.8.9 setup with 2 nodes, and a number of replicated
> volumes. We are using Ganesha for HA. This weekend we had to reboot both
> nodes and seem to have run into an issue. We first attempted to bring
> them up one at a time but when only one was up the gluster shared
> storage wouldn’t start and NFS-Ganesha was running but not setting up
> the ha (no virtual IPs were being added). Once we had both of them up we
> were able to get everything back up by doing the following.
>

>  1. gluster volume set all cluster.enable-shared-storage disable
>  2. gluster volume set all cluster.enable-shared-storage enable
>  3. gluster nfs-ganesha disable
>  4. gluster nfs-ganesha enable

These operations shouldn't be needed.

> One concern is, what happens if we have a failure and are only able to
> bring up one of the nodes? All our clients are pointed at the virtual
> IP’s so they wont be able to connect without us manually adding them to
> the interface. Is that really the way it should work?

That shouldn't be the case. In case of 2-node Ganesha/Pacemaker cluster,
if one node fails, other node should be hosting both the virtual-IPs.
Could you try setting below options and re-trigger your tests -

pcs property set stonith-enabled=false
pcs property set no-quorum-policy=ignore

Since you are using gluster-3.8.9, post reboot, only nfs-ganesha and HA
services need to be started (unless they are enabled to be started by
default via init/systemd)

#systemctl start pcsd
#systemctl start pacemaker
I suggest to enable above services to be started by default post reboot

#systemctl enable pcsd
#systemctl enable pacemaker

& start nfs-ganesha service
#systemctl start nfs-ganesha

> The second thing is just doing a normal reboot. Should we have to
> disable and enable those services when it comes back up? Do we need to
> stop certain services before rebooting? Is there something in the setup
> we may have done wrong?

Nothing in particular need to stopped prior to reboot. But post reboot,
please check if above mentioned services are up and running.

Thanks,
Soumya