[Gluster-users] Announcing release 3.11 : Scope, schedule and feature tracking

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Fri Mar 10 15:32:28 UTC 2017

On 02/28/2017 10:17 AM, Shyam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With release 3.10 shipped [1], it is time to set the dates for release
> 3.11 (and subsequently 4.0).
>
> This mail has the following sections, so please read or revisit as needed,
>   - 3.11 focus areas
>   - Release owners

Focusing on the above 2 sections, in this mail.

> *3.11 focus areas:*
> As maintainers of gluster, we want to harden testing around the various
> gluster features in this release. Towards this the focus area for this
> release are,
>
> 1) Testing improvements in Gluster
>   - Primary focus would be to get automated test cases to determine
> release health, rather than repeating a manual exercise every 3 months
>   - Further, we would also attempt to focus on maturing Glusto[7] for
> this, and other needs (as much as possible)

We are yet to see any testing improvement suggestions for the release,
request the community to help with the same.

Nigel sent a good mail stating what it means to have a good build that
can be released, here [8]. Please add to that, or propose your thoughts.

Further, during 3.9 there was an effort to collect per component health
checks that need to be done for a release by Pranith and Aravinda, if
component maintainers agree, then these can be targeted for automation
as well. See [9] (@Pranith, @Aravinda, The etherpad where we collected
this information is defunct, if you have the information somewhere,
please post a new link for the same).

Also, we would like github issues for these testing improvements, so
that we can track them for the 3.11 and further release, to ensure we
reach this goal at some point in the future.

> - We will still retain features that slipped 3.10 and hence were moved
> to 3.11 (see [4] for the list).

Are there other features that are being targeted for 3.11? If so please
post the same to github and also send a mail to devel and users, stating
what they are.

We would like to hear sooner, than later about what *may* get into 3.11

> *Release owners:*
>   - Primary: Shyam <srangana at redhat.com>
Assisted by: Kaushal <kmadappa at redhat.com>

Kaushal has volunteered to assist me with this release going forward,
thanks Kaushal. So now that is 2 people you can post your queries to (in
addition to the lists), about the release.

> Shyam
>
> [1] 3.10 release announcement:
> http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-February/052188.html
>
> [2] Gluster release schedule:
> https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/
>
> [3] Mail regarding facebook patches:
> http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-December/051784.html
>
> [4] Release scope: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/projects/1
>
> [5] glusterfs github issues: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues
>
> [6] github issues for features and major fixes:
> https://hackmd.io/s/BkgH8sdtg#
>
> [7] Glusto tests: https://github.com/gluster/glusto-tests

[8] Good build thread:
http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-March/052245.html

[9] Release checklist of tests collected during 3.9:
https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-component-release-checklist
NOTE: The above link is defunct now, hopefully we still have the data
and we can post it again elsewhere