[Gluster-users] Sharding?

Cedric Lemarchand yipikai7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:39:31 UTC 2017

> On 10 Mar 2017, at 10:33, Alessandro Briosi <ab1 at metalit.com> wrote:
>
> Il 10/03/2017 10:28, Kevin Lemonnier ha scritto:
>>> I haven't done any test yet, but I was under the impression that
>>> sharding feature isn't so stable/mature yet.
>>> In the remote of my mind I remember reading something about a
>>> bug/situation which caused data corruption.
>>> Can someone confirm that sharding is stable enough to be used in
>>> production and won't cause any data loss?
>> There were a few bugs yeah. I can tell you that in 3.7.15 (and I assume
>> later versions) it works well as long as you don't try to add new bricks
>> to your volumes (we use it in production for HA virtual machine disks).
>> Apparently that bug was fixed recently, so latest versions should be
>> pretty stable yeah.
>
> I'm using 3.8.9, so I suppose all known bugs have been fixed there (also the one with adding briks)
>
> I'll then proceed with some tests before going to production.

I am still asking myself how such bug could happen on a clustered storage software, where adding bricks is a base feature for scalable solution, like Gluster. Or maybe is it that STM releases are really under tested compared to LTM ones ? Could we states that STM release are really not made for production, or at least really risky ?

Sorry if the question could sounds a bit rude, but I think it still remains for newish peoples that had to make a choice on which release is better for production ;-)

Cheers

Cédric