[Gluster-users] Sharding?

Laura Bailey lbailey at redhat.com
Fri Mar 10 01:22:18 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

This chapter on sharding and how to configure it went into the RHGS 3.1
Administration Guide some time ago:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/3.1/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Managing_Sharding.html

If there's anything in here that isn't clear, let me know so I can fix it.

It doesn't seem to show up if you search on the customer portal; I'll get
in touch with JP Sherman and see what we can do about that.

Cheers,
Laura B

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Kevin Lemonnier <lemonnierk at ulrar.net>
> wrote:
>
>> > I've seen the term sharding pop up on the list a number of times but I
>> > haven't found any documentation or explanation of what it is. Would
>> someone
>> > please enlighten me?
>>
>> It's a way to split the files you put on the volume. With a shard size of
>> 64 MB
>> for example, the biggest file on the volume will be 64 MB. It's
>> transparent
>> when accessing the files though, you can still of course write your 2 TB
>> file
>> and access it as usual.
>>
>> It's usefull for things like healing (only the shard being headed is
>> locked,
>> and you have a lot less data to transfert) and for things like hosting a
>> single
>> huge file that would be bigger than one of your replicas.
>>
>> We use it for VM disks, as it decreases heal times a lot.
>>

> Some more details on sharding can be found at [1].
>
> Regards,
> Vijay
>
> [1] http://blog.gluster.org/2015/12/introducing-shard-translator/

Laura Bailey