[Gluster-users] Deleting huge file from glusterfs hangs the cluster for a while

GEORGI MIRCHEV gmirchev at usa.net
Fri Mar 3 17:05:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have deleted two large files (around 1 TB each) via gluster client (mounted
on /mnt folder). I used a simple rm command, e.g "rm /mnt/hugefile". This
resulted in hang of the cluster (no io can be done, the VM hanged). After a
few minutes my ssh connection to the gluster node gets disconnected - I had to
reconnect, which was very strange, probably some kind of timeout. Nothing in
dmesg so it's probably the ssh that terminated the connection.

After that the cluster works, everything seems fine, the file is gone in the
client but the space is not reclaimed.

The deleted file is also gone from bricks, but the shards are still there and
use up all the space.

I need to reclaim the space. How do I delete the shards / other metadata for a
file that no longer exists?

Versions:
glusterfs-server-3.8.9-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-client-xlators-3.8.9-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-geo-replication-3.8.9-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-3.8.9-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-fuse-3.8.9-1.el7.x86_64
vdsm-gluster-4.19.4-1.el7.centos.noarch
glusterfs-cli-3.8.9-1.el7.x86_64