[Gluster-users] documentation on georeplication failover

Joseph Lorenzini jaloren at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 16:40:30 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I found this doc on georeplication. I am on gluster 3.9. I am looking for
documentation that explains how to failover between the master and slave
volumes.

http://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Geo%20Replication/

How would someone handle the following scenario.

   1. two datacenters A and B. Each is running a gluster pool.
   2. In DC A , create gluster volume named gv0-dcA.
   3. In DC B, create gluster volume named gv0-dcB.
   4. Gluster volume gv0-dcA is the master and volume gv0-dcB is the slave.
   5. A couple GB of data is written to gv0-dcA and replicated to gv0-dcB.
   6. Initiate failover process so that:
      1. all writes are completed on gv0-dcA
      2. gv0-dcA is now read-only
      3. gv0-dcB becomes master and now data can be written to this volume
      4. gv0-dcA is now the slave volume and gv0-dcB is the master volume.
      Consequently, georeplication now happens from gv0-dcB to gv0-dcA.
   7. repeat all steps described in the previous step but now roles are
   switched where gv0-dcA becomes master and gv0-dcB becomes slave.

Thanks,
Joe