[Gluster-users] Is it safe to run RAID0 on a replicate cluster?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 00:01:12 UTC 2017

On 1 March 2017 at 09:20, Ernie Dunbar <maillist at lightspeed.ca> wrote:

> Every node in the Gluster array has their RAID array configured as RAID5,
> so I'd like to improve the performance on each node by changing that to
> RAID0 instead.

Hi Ernie, sorry saw your question before and meant to reply but "stuff"
kept happening ... :)

Presuming you're running Replica 3 I don't see any issues with converting
from RAID5 to RAID0, there should be quite a local performance boost and I
would think its actually safer - the rebuild times for RAID5 are horrendous
and a performance killer to boot. With RAID0 you'll loose the whole brick
if you lose a disk but depending on your network, healing from the other
nodes would probably be quicker.

nb. What is your raid controller? network setup?

Alternatively I believe the general recommendation is to actually run all
your disks in JBOD mode and create a brick per disk, that way individual
disk failures won't effect the other bricks on the node. However that would
require the same number of disks per node.

For myself, I actually run 4 disks per node, setup as RAID10 with ZFS. One
ZFS Pool and Brick per node. I use it for VM Hosting though which is quite
a different usecase, a few very large files.

--
Lindsay