[Gluster-users] How to shutdown a node properly ?

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Jun 30 01:24:31 UTC 2017

On 06/30/2017 12:40 AM, Renaud Fortier wrote:

> On my nodes, when i use the system.d script to kill gluster (service
> glusterfs-server stop) only glusterd is killed. Then I guess the
> shutdown doesn’t kill everything !

Killing glusterd does not kill other gluster processes.

When you shutdown a node, everything obviously gets killed but the
client does not get notified immediately that the brick went down,
leading for it to wait for the 42 second ping-timeout after which it
assumes the brick is down. When you kill the brick manually before
shutdown, the client immediate  receives the notification and you don't
see the hang. See Xavi's description in Bug 1054694.

So if it is a planned shutdown or reboot, it is better to kill the
gluster processes before shutting the node down. BTW, you can use
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/extras/stop-all-gluster-processes.sh
which automatically checks for pending heals etc before killing the
gluster processes.

-Ravi