[Gluster-users] Urgent :) Procedure for replacing Gluster Node on 3.8.12

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 00:51:55 UTC 2017

- gluster 3.8.12
- Replica 3
- VM Hosting Only
- Sharded Storage

Or I should say we *had* a 3 node cluster, one node died today. Possibly I
can recover it, in whcih case no issues, we just let it heal itself. For
now its running happily on 2 nodes with no data loss - gluster for teh win!

But its looking like I might have to replace the node with a new server in
which case I won't try anything fancy with trying reuse the existing data
on the failed node disks, I'd rather let it resync the 3.2TB over the
weekend.

In which case what is the best way to replace the old failed node? the new
node would have a new hostname and ip.

Failed node is vna. Lets call the new node vnd

I'm thinking the following:

gluster volume remove-brick datastore4 replica 2
vna.proxmox.softlog:/tank/vmdata/datastore4 force

gluster volume add-brick datastore4 replica 3
vnd.proxmox.softlog:/tank/vmdata/datastore4

Would that be all that is required?

Existing setup below:

gluster v info

Volume Name: datastore4
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 0ba131ef-311d-4bb1-be46-596e83b2f6ce
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: vnb.proxmox.softlog:/tank/vmdata/datastore4
Brick2: vng.proxmox.softlog:/tank/vmdata/datastore4
Brick3: vna.proxmox.softlog:/tank/vmdata/datastore4
Options Reconfigured:
cluster.locking-scheme: granular
cluster.granular-entry-heal: yes
features.shard-block-size: 64MB