[Gluster-users] RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATIONS - DISPERSED VOLUME

Dmitri Chebotarov 4dimach at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 18:28:41 UTC 2017

Hi

I'm looking for an advise to configure a dispersed volume.
I have 12 servers and would like to use 10:2 ratio.

Yet RH recommends 8:3 or 8:4 in this case:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/3.1/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Recommended-Configuration_Dispersed.html

My goal is to create 2PT volume, and going with 10:2 vs 8:3/4 saves a few
bricks. With 10:2 I'll use 312 8TB bricks and with 8:3 it's 396 8TB bricks
(36 8:3 slices to evenly distribute between all servers/bricks)

As I see it 8:3/4 vs 10:2 gives more data redundancy (3 servers vs 2
servers can be offline), but is critical with 12 nodes? Nodes are new and
under warranty, it's unlikely I will lose 3 servers  at the same time (10:2
goes offline). Or should I follow RH recommended configuration and use
8:3/4?

Thank you.