[Gluster-users] Convert to Shard - Setting Guidance

Gambit15 dougti+gluster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:26:07 UTC 2017

> If your images easily fit within the bricks, why do you need sharding in
>> the first place? It adds an extra layer of complexity & removes the cool
>> feature of having entire files on each brick, making DR & things a lot
>> easier.
>

> Because healing with large VM images completes orders of magnitude faster
> and consumes far less bandwidth/cpu/disk IO

Isn't that only the case with full, non-granular heals? And according to
the docs, "full" forces a resync of the entire volume, not just the
out-of-sync files. Seems a bit overkill for anything other than a brick
replacement...

One question - how do you plan to convert the VM's?

> - setup a new volume and copy the VM images to that?
>
> - or change the shard setting inplace? (I don't think that would work)

AFAIK, if you enable sharding on a volume, it will only apply to new files.
An easier option might be to enable sharding & then clone the VMs to create
new VHDs.

Doug