[Gluster-users] Gluster node without a brick

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Thu Jan 12 21:34:57 UTC 2017

> Yes but you still have to access data remotely and not directly from
> localhost

Sure, but that's transparent, mounting localhost:/VMs should still work
fine if I'm right. It'll ask localhost for the bricks then talk to them
directly.

> AFAIK the advantage with proxmox solution is to read  data through the
> local host and not from the net

That's really no big deal. I was already pretty sure of it but since I've
started graphing read and write speeds on our gluster volumes it's very
clear that VMs basically don't read from disk, everything is in cache in ram.
I sometimes litteraly have hours without any actual read operations on the
volumes even with 20 VMs running on it. So I really don't mind the remote
access there :)

And writting won't benefit much in having data on the local drive since
you have to write to all the bricks at once. I'll lose 1/3 of the
bandwith for the machines running on those new proxmox nodes, but that's
really not a bid deal, bandwith never was the problem, latency is, and
this solution won't change latency at all.

Or am I missing something key here ?

--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111