[Gluster-users] Gluster node without a brick

Kevin Lemonnier lemonnierk at ulrar.net
Thu Jan 12 15:07:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

We have a few proxmox 3 node clusters with a glusterFS brick on each.
The proxmox are configured to use "localhost" as the gluster server,
which works very well.

We are thinking of bumping the proxmox clusters to 5 nodes, but without
putter bricks on the 2 new ones (because of a bug I already mailed about
a few months ago), basically we just need more ram. My question is the
following : can I install glusterfs and peer probe the new servers
without putting a brick on them and still use localhost as the server ?

For example :

s1, s2 and s3 are proxmox nodes and have each a brick of a replica 3 volume.
We add s4 and s5 to the gluster by running peer probe, but we don't
add a brick on them. Will localhost:/VMs work on s4 and s5 ?
I believe it will, since it'll have access to the volume on the other members
of the gluster, but I'd like to be sure before I go throught the trouble
of setting all of this up.

(I also have one of the original servers as backup volfile, but who knows
if that'll always be up, I like using localhost since if localhost is down
I have other problems anyway :D)

Thanks !
--
Kevin Lemonnier
PGP Fingerprint : 89A5 2283 04A0 E6E9 0111