[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Fwd: Behaviour of simple distributed volumes on failed bricks?

Raghavendra G raghavendra.hg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:14:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Raghavendra G <raghavendra.hg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 9:20 AM, B.K.Raghuram <bkrram at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> cc'ing devel as well for some developer insight..

Fails mostly. However, let's say if the inode of file has been looked up
when hashed-brick was up, then operations succeed even if hashed-brick goes
down later. Following sequence of ops succeed:

1. hashed-brick up
2. Lookup (file) => success
3. open (file) => success (fd)
4. hashed-brick goes down
5. write/read (fd) => success

Note that if the inode is cached in vfs/kernel after 2, even path based
operations like stat, open, chmod etc can succeed if hashed-brick goes down
immediately after successful lookup. The point is only fresh lookups fail
if hashed brick/subvol is down.

>> - File modifications/deletions if that file name hashes to one of the
>> remaining functional brick
>>

> Succeeds
>

>> - Directory renames/deletions if that file name hashes to the failed brick
>>

> Fails
>

>> - Directory renames/deletions if that file name hashes to one of the
>> remaining functional brick
>>

> Fails

Raghavendra G