[Gluster-users] Replace replicate in single brick

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 04:59:21 UTC 2017

On 01/09/2017 09:29 PM, Andrus, Brian Contractor wrote:

> All,
>
> We have a small cluster with a single volume and a single replicated
> brick:
>
> Volume Name: volume1
>
> Type: Replicate
>
> Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
>
> Bricks:
>
> Brick1: node01:/export/sdb1/brick
>
> Brick2: node02:/export/sdb1/brick
>
> Now the disk on node01 is going bad and needs replaced, but I am
> uncertain if there is a safe way to do this with gluster. There are
> not enough connections in the system to hook up a new disk and then
> add it. I have to physically replace the disk with the new one.

If you are using glusterfs 3.9 and want to give the replaced brick the
same name as the old one, there is the reset-brick command. The commit
message in http://review.gluster.org/#/c/12250/ gives you some
information on the steps to run.
If you are okay with using a different name for the brick, then there is
`gluster volume replace-brick <volname> <hostname:old brick>
<hostname:new brick> commit force`. I think this command works from
glusterfs 3.7.10 onward.
-Ravi