[Gluster-users] interval or event to evaluate free disk space?

Stefan Solbrig stefan.solbrig at ur.de
Mon Dec 18 18:41:11 UTC 2017

Hi all,

with the option "cluster.min-free-disk" set, glusterfs avoids placing files bricks that are "too full".
I'd like to understand when the free space on the bricks  is calculated. It seems to me that this does not happen for every write call (naturally) but at some interval or that some other event triggers this.

i.e, if I write two files quickly (that together would fill a brick) I'd get a error message:

dd if=/dev/zero  of=a    bs=1k count=15000 && sleep 1 && dd if=/dev/zero  of=aa     bs=1k count=15000
#yiels: dd: error writing ‘aa’: No space left on device
#(brick1 is full, but glusterd still tries to place file "aa" on the same brick

dd if=/dev/zero  of=a    bs=1k count=15000 && sleep 60  && dd if=/dev/zero  of=aa     bs=1k count=15000
#this works....
#link file on brick1 to "aa" and the real "aa"-file on brick2

when is statfs (or a simlar call) evaluated?

Thank you!
best wishes,
Stefan