[Gluster-users] Testing sharding on tiered volume

Viktor Nosov vnosov at stonefly.com
Fri Dec 8 22:45:25 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm looking to use sharding on tiered volume. This is very attractive
feature that could benefit tiered volume to let it handle larger files
without hitting the "out of (hot)space problem".
I decided to set  test configuration on GlusterFS 3.12.3  when tiered volume
has 2TB cold and 1GB hot segments. Shard size is set to be 16MB.
For testing 100GB files are used. It seems writes and reads are going well.
But I hit problem trying to delete files from the volume. One of GlusterFS
processes hit segmentation fault.
The problem is reproducible each time.  It was submitted to Red Hat Bugzilla
bug list and has ID 1521119.
You can find details at the attachments to the bug.

I'm wondering are there other users who are interested to apply sharding to
tiered volumes and are experienced similar problems?
 How  this problem can be resolved or could it be avoided?

Best regards,

 Viktor Nosov