[Gluster-users] Gluster Performance in an Ovirt Scenario.

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Mon Apr 3 18:58:14 UTC 2017

You didn’t list your mount type for test 1, but it sounds like your NFS mounting your storage. Is this a “standard” OS level NFS server, or a Ganesha based NFS server?

If you’re using “normal” NFS, your nodes write to 1 of your gluster servers over the NFS mount, and the gluster server will write it out to all the other servers as needed before acknowledging the write as complete, limiting your total throughput. This is also true for the read case, the server you’re talking to marshals the response from all the servers before sending it along to the client.

If you use Ganesha, it may be able to read/write directly from/to all your gluster servers, which should improve your performance.

Since you’re using Ovirt, I would recommend you use gluster mounted volumes instead of NFS mounts. Even using the fuse mounts currently supported, I get better behavior from it because then nodes are still writing to all the gluster servers at the same time, which reduces the wait time on the write completions, improving throughput over the NFS case. Then you’re ready for native libgfapi support when Ovirt enables it, something I’m looking forward to myself.

I also got some performance improvement by setting higher numbers for server.event-threads and client.event-threads on my volumes. This is more setup & load dependent, so play around with it some.

  -Darrell