[Gluster-users] trashcan file size limit

Jiffin Tony Thottan jthottan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 09:02:24 UTC 2016

Hi Jackie,

On 18/10/16 23:48, Jackie Tung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Documentation says:
> https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Trash/
>
> */gluster volume set <VOLNAME> features.trash-max-filesize <size>/*
>
> This command can be used to filter files entering trash directory
> based on their size. Files above trash_max_filesize are
> deleted/truncated directly.Value for size may be followed by
> multiplicative suffixes as KB(=1024 bytes), MB(=1024*1024 bytes) and
> GB(=1024*1024*1024 bytes). Default size is set to 5MB. Considering the
> fact that trash directory is consuming the glusterfs volume space,
> trash feature is implemented to function in such a way that*it
> directly deletes/truncates files with size > 1GB even if this option
> is set to some value greater than 1GB.*
>
> Is there any workaround (short of changing source code and rebuilding)
> that can allow me to override this 1GB hard limit?  We store a lot of
> large files, and having a limit of 1GB greatly reduces the value of
> this trashcan feature for us.

I don't remember exactly reason behind having a hard coded value for
upper boundary, one reason may be to limit space used
by trash directory and for truncate operation it result in performance
hit. The hard coded value can be found at
xlators/features/trash/src/trash.h:32 (GF_ALLOWED_MAX_FILE_SIZE) . If
you are interested , then change value(according to
your preference) in the code and send out a patch to
http://review.gluster.org/ as well.

As first step please file a bug https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ under
community->glusterfs->trash xlator.

Regards,