[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] opportunist for outreachy

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 18:24:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/14/2016 10:48 AM, Manikandan Selvaganesh wrote:
>
>> Hi Soumya,
>>
>> Welcome to the community.
>>
>> Here[1] is the link for Gluster Documentation. I would suggest you to
>> google and
>> read a bit about GlusterFS and then get started with "Quick Start
>> Guide[2]".
>> Once you have done your setup and have played a bit around the
>> installation and
>> configuration move on with "Developers Guide[3]".
>>
>> If you want to get started with Code contributions pick some EasyFix
>> bugs which
>> can be found here[4]. After this I hope you would have got a minimal
>> idea and then
>> explore more in depth and pick up the project/component which interests
>> you more.
>> Again, we have some list of projects[5] already listed, check out if
>> anything interests
>> you here. Feel free to bring your own ideas as well. These are quite
>> generic for anyone
>> who is new to the community and in case if  you want to know
>> specifically about
>> Outreachy, someone in the community will surely respond to you shortly.
>>

> Let me take the Outreachy part up.
>
> There are 2 projects there, one relating to the documentation, for which
> Manikandan has filled in some links and thoughts. The other being the
> instrumentation tooling around performance.
>
> For the latter, I would suggest that you get a gluster volume up and
> running, and attempt the GlusterBench.py [6] against it, and start with
> reporting the results. Again, Manikandan has covered getting gluster up and
> running. For any questions, or things that you get stuck on when running
> the bench script, post back here and we will help as needed.
>

>> If you have queries, please mail us back. Also, we are always available
>> on #gluster-dev
>> and #gluster-meeting in Freenode.
>>
>> All the best :-)
>>
>> [1] https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
>>
>> [2] https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Quick-Start-Guide/
>> Quickstart/
>>
>> [3] https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Developer-guide/Dev
>> elopers-Index/
>>
>> [4] https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Developer-guide/Eas
>> y-Fix-Bugs/
>>
>> [5] https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Developer-guide/Projects/
>>

> [6] GlusterBench.py : https://github.com/gluster/gbe
> nch/tree/master/bench-tests/bt-0000-0001

Hi Soumya,
        I see that the important information is already given by Mani and
Shyam. I went to IIIT-Hyderabad for my Engineering (2003-2007). It is
really good to see you here :-). I will be happy to visit the campus next
time I visit Hyderabad and introduce folks to gluster (I am hoping Linux
Users Group is still as active as it used to be). I heard that our college
is very famous now because of the performances in ACM ICPC, may be we
should make it famous for open-source contributions too in future :-).

All the best!

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Manikandan Selvaganesh.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Ms ms <ms.soumya12 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ms.soumya12 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     I'm a research student pursuing my Masters in IIIT-Hyderabad. I am
>>     keen on working on Gluster's Outreachy project.
>>
>>     I have prior experience in configuring, maintaining and managing
>>     systems in an MHRD project. I have completed the required course
>>     credits towards my degree and am working on my Thesis currently. It
>>     would be great opportunity for me to learn and contribute to the
>>     project as well.
>>
>>     As I am a bit new to the community it would be nice if anyone can
>>     guide me a few useful resources to get me started.
>>
>>     Thanks and regards,
>>     Soumya

Pranith