[Gluster-users] Remove a brick, rebuild it, put it back in

Sergei Gerasenko sgerasenko74 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:47:16 UTC 2016

The guide here: https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Volumes/#replace-faulty-brick suggests
running the following while the partner host is down:

mkdir /mnt/r2/<name-of-nonexistent-dir> rmdir /mnt/r2/<name-of-nonexistent-
dir> setfattr -n trusted.non-existent-key -v abc /mnt/r2 setfattr -x
trusted.non-existent-key /mnt/r2

That should set an extended attribute on the healthy replica partner
indicating that there are pending changes for the partner host.

Remembering that we're in a distributed, replicated situation, I don't
quite understand because the created directories can be created on any
pair, not necessarily the one we're fixing. I think the name of the
directory should chosen such that its dht value lands the file on the
affected brick (the healthy of the two replicate hosts). That's not easy to
do.

Does somebody have any suggestions?