[Gluster-users] Rebalancing after adding larger bricks

Jackie Tung jackie at drive.ai
Mon Oct 10 17:13:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

We have a 2 node, distributed replicated setup (11 bricks on each node).  Each of these bricks are 6TB in size.

node_A:/brick1 replicates node_B:/brick1
node_A:/brick2 replicates node_B:/brick2
node_A:/brick3 replicates node_B:/brick3
…
…
node_A:/brick11 replicates node_B:/brick11

We recently added 5 more bricks to make it 16 bricks on each node in total.  Each of these new bricks are 8TB in size.

We completed a full rebalance operation (status says “completed”).

However the end result is somewhat unexpected:
/dev/sdl1 7.3T 2.2T 5.2T 29%
/dev/sdk1 7.3T 2.0T 5.3T 28%
/dev/sdj1 7.3T 2.0T 5.3T 28%
/dev/sdn1 7.3T 2.2T 5.2T 30%
/dev/sdp1 7.3T 2.2T 5.2T 30%
/dev/sdc1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sdf1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 43%
/dev/sdo1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sda1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 43%
/dev/sdi1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sdh1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 43%
/dev/sde1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sdb1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sdm1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sdg1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%
/dev/sdd1 5.5T 2.3T 3.2T 42%

The df output in bold are the new 8TB drives.
Was I wrong to expect the % usage to be roughly equal?  Is there some parameter I need to tweak to make rebalance account for disk sizes properly?

I’m using Gluster 3.8 on Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Jackie

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.