[Gluster-users] Gluster File Abnormalities

Nithya Balachandran nbalacha at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 10:36:34 UTC 2016

On 16 November 2016 at 00:06, Kevin Leigeb <kevin.leigeb at wisc.edu> wrote:

> I guess I don’t understand why in some cases we only have these link-to
> files and not the new data files. Nothing has been overwritten, unless it
> was by gluster.

Could the linkto files might have been copied by rsync overwriting the
original data files? Was rsync run consecutively on each brick?

How can I tell if a file shows as the initial size, but isn’t actually
> using disk space?

du -h <filename> will show you the actual disk usage

> What should the contents of one of these link-to files look like if I try
> to open it with less or some other program?

It will probably show junk characters as it is not a valid file.

It is highly recommended that you perform all such operations from the
gluster mount in future as there are several internal operations that are
performed.

Thanks,
Nithya