[Gluster-users] RAM/Disk ratio question

kostas makedos kostas.makedos at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:41:54 UTC 2016

Hello,
thanks for the info and sorry for the late reply.

I will try to explain our complex setup.

We are using OpenStack to create clusters of VMs for our clients.
In these VMs we provide basic services and customers add their own
applications which run on top of our clusters.

These clusters have HA systems provided by us.
To keep data persistent and shared across the cluster we use 3VMs to serve
as Storage Nodes.
We use 2 out of 3 VMs to store Gluster Bricks and the third one to have a
quorum voter.

There are 4-5 "partitions" served to all other VMs of the cluster.

These partitions may contain or store static data (like text configuration
files) or other user-generated data.
Most files stored in these partitions are text-based and ranges vary from
4-10Kbytes to 200-300MB with smaller files to be the majority of the
population.
Total data stored per cluster is about 50G.

So we have to tune somehow this installations, and to tune based on
underlying hardware (assuming it is applicable in our case) is a way to go,
though IMHO it could not give us too much of a benefit.

That's why I ask for a generic dimensioning document or guideline, if we
leave hardware out of the equation, how can someone tune Gluster to make
best use of RAM in cases complex like this?

Thanks

Br
Kostas

kostas.makedos at gmail.com