[Gluster-users] Best Gluster configuration for media playback

Framework AE frameworkae at gmail.com
Mon May 9 04:09:05 UTC 2016

Hello,

We are interested in using Gluster as shared storage for video editing. Our
clients are Macs connecting via NFS v3 over gigabit ethernet. Far more
reads than writes.

We'd like to test the waters with two nodes with similar specs:

Dual Xeon Processors E5-2643 v3 (3.40 GHz, 6 cores each)
128GB DDR4 2133 RAM
Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8C2-2 NIC with bonded 10gig connections
Supermicro X10DRH-C-B Motherboard with LSI 3108 RAID controller (2GB cache)
Attached JBOD with 16x 4TB SAS drives connected to a SAS2 Backplane

Performance (throughput and low latency) is more important to us than
redundancy or space, although we'd prefer to avoid significant downtime due
to large heals or restoring from backup.

We'd love some advice on which of these setups makes the most sense for
video playback from multiple clients on Gluster:

   - 16 drive Hardware RAID6s using the RAID controllers on each node and
   then adding them into a Distributed Gluster Volume without replication
   (about 88% usable of the 128TB)
   - 16 drive Hardware RAID6s using the RAID controllers on each node and
   then adding them into a Distributed Replica 2 Gluster Volume (about 44%
   usable of the 128TB)
   - Passing all 32 drives through in JBOD mode, adding them into a
   Distributed Replica 2 Gluster Volume spanning both nodes (50% usable of the
   128TB)

Also, planning for expansion, what are likely to be our performance
bottlenecks? Total drive count, RAM, CPU, etc.

Thank you!

David Kline